PVARF RECRUITMENT AND HIRING POLICY
Policy: PVARF’s policy of equal employment is designed and committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce with high standards and expectations for excellence. State and federal laws continue to require a commitment to equal employment opportunity and a workplace that is free from any form of unlawful discrimination. As an equal opportunity employer PVARF will strive to select the best qualified individuals based on job-related qualifications, regardless of such factors as race, sex, color, age, ancestry, citizenship, pregnancy, religion, national origin, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, physical or mental disability or medical condition (as defined under state law), status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, when the individual is otherwise qualified or on any other basis prohibited by law.
This policy outlines PVARF’s commitment to providing equal opportunity in all phases of employment including, but not limited to the following:
A. Recruiting and soliciting for employment
B. Hiring, placement, promotion, transfer and demotion
C. Employment training or selection for training
D. Rate of pay, compensation, and benefits
E. Termination of employment
PVARF will provide reasonable accommodation to otherwise qualified individuals with a known impairment as required by law.
This organizational commitment to equal access for employment opportunities makes it imperative that all PVARF Principal Investigators, managers and supervisors comply with both the spirit and intent of federal and state laws and government regulations that relate to discrimination in the workplace. It is the responsibility of all Principal Investigators, managers and supervisors to ensure a work environment free of discrimination.
Procedure: To assure that we adhere to our equal employment principles, all job openings will be publicized, and statistics will be maintained on applicants and selections for appointment. As appropriate, PVARF will recruit both within and outside its work force to obtain qualified applicants. To support career progress of qualified internal candidates, internal recruitment may be utilized. Exceptions to recruiting may be made for employees whose responsibilities or titles have changed as a result of a reorganization or reassignment.
The following steps outline the process for recruiting and hiring employees through the PVARF:
1. Prior to initiating any recruitment for a PVARF position, the hiring manager/PI should complete PVARF’s Request to Hire form and submit to the Human Resources Department for Executive Director approval.
2. Once it is determined that it is possible to hire through the Foundation, the hiring manager/PI should provide the Human Resources Department with a current job description/posting for the requested position, clearly stating the minimum qualifications for the position. The PVARF job description template will be provided.
3. HR and the Executive Director will review the requested personnel information and determine the specific account status prior to posting the position. Upon final approval, the requested position will be posted for a minimum of 3 days at the selected recruitment sites (possibly other sites if deemed appropriate). HR will notify the hiring manager/PI when the position is posted.
4. The hiring manager/PI will screen responses/résumés within our applicant database (Applicant Pro) and select those respondents that she/he wishes to interview. This should be limited to the top two or three candidates. The hiring manager/PI should schedule and conduct the interview(s).
5. Once an applicant is selected for employment, the hiring manager/PI will provide HR with the candidate’s contact information (email address and name), along with proposed salary and start date. After determining all requirements have been met and that the salary is appropriate, HR will prepare an offer letter. No one may start work until she/he has received an offer letter from the PVARF Human Resources office.
6. HR will send the offer letter along with instructions for onboarding. The PI will be responsible for initiating the Without Compensation (WOC) appointment at the VA Portland Health Care System unless applicant already has a completed WOC appointment.
7. All PVARF employees are required to show proof of current eligibility to work in the United States within three business days of start date.